While doing detailed craftsmanship on a large number of carpentry and woodworking designs for, we grew to appreciate the DEWALT DWP611PK for being the best wood router for most woodworking jobs. It performed better than all the small routers with less than 1.75HP in generating enough power and control for bold and unique detail.
Like the high horsepower routers, it also proved to be capable of doing a fairly large amount of work without bogging down. It’s suitable for cabinet making, door hinge design and anything in between.
Let’s review the fourteen top-rated wood routers starting with this one. As you go through our best value recommendations, we encourage you to draw comparisons between the different types of products.
Top-Rated Woodworking Router Reviews
- 1 Top-Rated Woodworking Router Reviews
- 2 DEWALT DWP611PK Compact Router Combo
- 3 Bosch 1617EVSK Variable-Speed Router w/ Edge Guide
- 4 Bosch PR20EVSK Variable-Speed Router w/ Edge Guide
- 5 PORTER-CABLE 690LR: Great for Beginners
- 6 DEWALT DW618PK
- 7 Bosch MRC23EVSK Router Pack
- 8 Makita RT0701CX7 Small Handheld Router Tool
- 9 Triton TRA001 Plunge Router
- 10 DEWALT DW618B3
- 11 Milwaukee 5616-24 Multi-Base
- 12 Makita RP2301FC: Good for Professional Woodworkers
- 13 Bosch 1617EVS
- 14 Ryobi R1631K LED Lit Corded Router
- 15 DEWALT DW616
- 16 Fixed Base Routers vs Plunge Routers
- 17 What to Look for when Buying a Wood Router
Bosch 12 Amp 2-1/4
DEWALT DWP611PK Compact Router Combo
- Size: This router is mid size and compact with dimensions measuring 7 x 10.2 x 19.2 inches.
- Motor, Amps: This corded 7.0 Amps router has a motor that transitions efficiently from plunge bases to fixed bases and back.
- Horsepower: The DWP611PK falls under the classification of small routers because it generates only 1.25HP.
- Speed, RPM: No Load Speed ranges from 16,000 – 27,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: Eight-slot quarter-inch collet, which ensures the router bit shank has a firmer grip with surface contact.
- Plunge Depth: Fixed base router depth of 1.5 inches. The plunge base increases plunge depth to 2 inches.
- Includes: Dual LED Light, clear sub-base, and 2-inch plunge base.
- Warranty: DEWALT DWP611PK comes with a Three Year Limited Warranty.
DEWALT Incorporated produces DEWALT DWP611PK router kits in the United States. It is a very reputable power tool company. Each router in the series is equipped with a 7 Amps motor giving it the capability of generating 1.25HP, which is significant given its size and was durable enough during testing.
With No Load Speed ranging from 16,000 to 27,000 rpm, it is suitable for performing the most common woodworking applications including the toughest as quickly as you like.
Dual LED Lights and a clear sub-base mean you have full visibility while you saw. The plunge base increases the depth to 2 inches.
Bosch 1617EVSK Variable-Speed Router w/ Edge Guide
- Size: The Bosch 1617EVSK Variable-Speed Router measures 6.2 x 19.5 x 14.5 inches.
- Motor, Amps: This router is fitted with a 12-amp motor.
- Horsepower: This is a large router with a massive 2.25 Horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: Variable speed from 8,000 to 25,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: The Bosch 1617EVSK features 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch self-releasing collets for a tightened grip on various wooden surfaces.
- Plunge Depth: Bit depth adjustment system with a 6-inches fixed/6-11/16 inches plunge depth.
- Includes: Two wrenches – one for height adjustment and a 16mm shaft wrench. It also comes with a carrying case.
- Warranty: Bosch 1617EVSK comes with a One Year Warranty.
Bosch has produced a powerful wood router with a 12 Amps motor and massive 2.25 horsepower capability in the BOSCH 1617EVSK. It is able to generate speeds that vary from 8,000 revolutions per minute to 25,000 revolutions per minute.
While mounting wooden shanks to be cut in a predetermined manner, you can count on the quarter-inch and half-inch collets for a firm grip on the surface. With a shaft wrench to straighten shank bits for smooth routing and a convenient carrying case, this machine is worth its price.
Bosch PR20EVSK Variable-Speed Router w/ Edge Guide
- Size: The Bosch PR20EVSK router measures 15 x 13 x 8 inches which is only slightly smaller than the 1617EVSK.
- Motor, Amps: This corded router has a 5.6-Amp motor.
- Horsepower: Bosch PR20EVSK is a really small router with is only capable of mustering 1 Horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: It has a wide speed range of 15,000 to 35,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: The Colt Variable Speed Router comes with the standard quarter-inch self-releasing collets.
- Plunge Depth: Clamping level allows for micro-fine adjustment to a depth of 1.5 inches.
- Includes: Aluminum base, carrying case, and straight-edge guide.
- Warranty: One-year warranty including repair or replacement.
The Colt Variable-Speed Router with Edge Guide is a big router by size but a small one by power. It is only capable of doing routing with 1 horsepower. It’s speed range, however, is as wide as most carpenters have come to expect from 15,000 rpm to 35,000 rpm.
With the assistance of a standard 1/4-inch collet, which can self-release, it is able to hold hardwood bits tightly for the desired cutting. The Clamping level serves to fine-tune router depth adjustment to 1.5 inches with the edge guide ensuring greater accuracy.
PORTER-CABLE 690LR: Great for Beginners
- Size: The PORTER-CABLE 690LR router is a very portable router with dimensions measuring only 10 x 10 x 8 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The 690LR comes with a motor that works with 11 Amps.
- Horsepower: This machine generates 1-3/4 of peak horsepower for various woodwork applications.
- Speed, RPM: It features a single-speed motor.
- Collets: Auto-release collets are designed for both 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch shanks.
- Plunge Depth: Micro-depth adjustment to 1/128-inch accuracy.
- Includes: Collet wrench and Cam lock lever.
- Warranty: The PORTER-CABLE 690LR comes with a 3 Year Limited Warranty.
From US-based PORTER-CABLE comes the 690LR wood router series. With a 1.75 horsepower generation capacity, this power hand tool is powerful enough to be called a big router despite its portable physical size.
This wood router for beginner comes with a single-speed 11 Amps motor, however, which is quite decent for performing routing applications on a large number of hardwood bits.
It does so with a high degree of accuracy, which allows for height adjustment in increments of 1/128 inches. The collet wrench aids the 1/2 and 1/4-inch collets hold surfaces to a table tightly.
- Size: The DEWALT DW618PK is one of the largest routers we tested with the dimension of 15.9 x 24 x 9.1 inches.
- Motor, Amps: DEWALT manufactures this wood router with a 12 Amps variable-speed motor.
- Horsepower: This device is driven by its 2 – 1/4 horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: The motor is able to produce speeds within the range of 8,000 to 24,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: Standard 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch collets.
- Plunge Depth: With the fixed base, this router plunges to a depth of 1.5 inches. The plunge base increases plunge depth to 2 inches.
- Includes: Clear sub-base, plunge base, concentricity gauge, and carrying case.
- Warranty: One Year Warranty with thirty-day no-risk trial and 1-year contract.
This router is large in terms of physical size as well as in terms of power generation. With 2-1/4 horsepower and a 12 Amps motor, it is capable of delivering cutting at speeds ranging from 8,000 to 24,000 revolutions per minute.
The fixed base gives it a plunge depth capacity of 1.5 inches but with the attachment of the plunge base, it can cut as deep as 2 inches.
It is able to produce fine detail because the machine comes with a concentricity gauge but also because of the grip afforded by the 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch collets.
Bosch MRC23EVSK Router Pack
- Size: This is yet another large size router. The Bosch MRC23EVSK router measures 22.7 x 15.2 x 9.8 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The MRC23EVSK works with a 15 Amps motor.
- Horsepower: This is also a large wood router by horsepower. It produces about 2.3 Horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: It is a very fast router with a speed range of 10,000 rpm to 24,000 rpm.
- Collets: Quarter-inch self-releasing collet.
- Plunge Depth: Bosch MRC23EVSK comes with a plunge base for a depth of two inches.
- Includes: Hex wrench, bit wrenches, and carrying case.
- Warranty: 1 Year Warranty including a 30-day money back guarantee.
Bosch came up with a large horsepower router that has a large physical size with the MRC23EVSK router pack. It features a motor with the kind of amperage (15 Amps) befitting such a machine.
Its speed range is also up there with the best of them starting from 10,000 revolutions per minute to 24,000 revolutions per minute.
The MRC23EVSK produces detailed cutting as deep as two inches with the aid of a plunge base. The single wrench size helps to hold shanks in place while routing is ongoing.
Makita RT0701CX7 Small Handheld Router Tool
- Size: Makita RT0701CX7 is a small size router with dimensions measuring 17 x 10 x 7 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The RT0701CX7 features a variable speed motor with an amperage of 6.5 Amps.
- Horsepower: It has a Horsepower capacity of 1-1/4 maximum horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: The speed produced by the motor could vary anywhere from 10,000 rpm to 35,000 rpm.
- Collets: Standard 1/4-inch shank collet and shaft lock.
- Plunge Depth: A cam lock rack-and-pinion system gives it a plunge depth capacity of 0” – 1-3/8”.
- Includes: Plunge base, clear fixed base, straight-edge guide, and 2 spanner wrenches.
- Warranty: 1 Year Warranty with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
The Makita RT0701CX7 small handheld router tool is produced by Makita U.S.A Incorporated in the US. Its motor has a rather low amperage of 6.5 Amps. With a power generation capacity of 1-1/4 peak horsepower, it falls under the class of small wood routers by HP.
The motor is can make as little as 10,000 rpm to as high as 35,000 rpm. While working, the clear fixed base lets the user see exactly what is going on and the straight-edge guide ensures that cutting is accurate. Cutting depth can be adjusted from 0” to 1-3/8 inches.
Triton TRA001 Plunge Router
- Size: The dimensions of the Triton TRA001 are 10.2 x 12.9 x 11.4 inches, which gives it a box-like appearance.
- Motor, Amps: This dual-mode router features a 15 Amps variable-speed motor.
- Horsepower: The TRA001 plunge router packs 3-1/4 of peak horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: The No Load Speed for this machine ranges from 8,000 to 21,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: It comes with both a 1/2-inch and 1/4-inch collets for a superb grip on any surface.
- Plunge Depth: It is capable of a plunge depth of up to 68mm (over two inches).
- Includes: Collet wrench, multi-function fence, table height winder.
- Warranty: The warranty for this machine expires after one year.
Australia-based Triton Tools produces the Triton TRA001 Plunge Router series. It is equipped with a motor with a high amperage of 15 Amps.
This dual-mode router generates 3-1/4 of peak horsepower, which makes it a large router by horsepower.
These routers can function both as routers for table work and handheld routers. In both modes, it is capable of producing 8,000 revolutions per minute to 21,000 revolutions per minute even as it plunges to as deep as 68mm.
A quarter-inch collet, a half-inch collet, and multi-function fence assist the machine in gripping hardwood bits firmly.
- Size: DEWALT DW618B3 measures 19.9 x 24 x 7.8 inches, which makes it the biggest router by DEWALT on our list.
- Motor, Amps: Its 12 Amps motor is built to deliver a wide speed range.
- Horsepower: The DW618B3 is a 2-1/4 horsepower machine.
- Speed, RPM: 8,000 revolutions per minute to 24,000 rpm.
- Collets: It comes with a quarter-inch collet and a half-inch collet.
- Plunge Depth: The plunge base gives this router the ability to go as deep as two inches with 5/128-inch accuracy.
- Includes: D-handle base, plunge base, clear sub-base, and carrying case.
- Warranty: 1 Year Warranty with a 30-day no-risk trial.
DEWALT Incorporated produces the DW618B3 in the United States. These routers have a power generation capacity of 2-1/4 horsepower, which means it is a large router by that metric.
With a decent 12 Amps motor capable of speeds ranging from 8,000 rpm to 24,000 rpm, it is as fast as is necessary for detailed woodwork or bulk work.
Fitting this machine with the plunge base extends cutting depth to 2 inches although the accuracy remains at 5/128 inches.
Milwaukee 5616-24 Multi-Base
- Size: Measuring 25 x 14.6 x 12.3 inches, this is one of the biggest corded routers available and the biggest on our list.
- Motor, Amps: The EVS Multi-Base router is built with a 13 Amps variable-speed motor.
- Horsepower: 2-1/4 of peak horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: Speed varies from 10,000 revolutions per minute to 24,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: The 8-slot Collet features both 1/2-inch slots and 1/4-inch slots.
- Plunge Depth: The 5616-24 router has a plunge depth of 1-21/32.
- Includes: Six-stop metal turret, two clear sub-bases, a concentricity gauge, two collet wrenches, and carrying case.
- Warranty: This product comes with a 5 Year Warranty.
US-based Milwaukee tool produces the Milwaukee 5616-24 Multi-Base Router. Powered by a 13 Amps variable-speed motor, this router can generate up to 2-1/4 of maximum horsepower while doing shape cutting.
It also performs very fast cutting with a speed range from 10,000 revolutions per minute to 24,000 revolutions per minute. The Milwaukee 56160-24 Multi-Base Router can plunge as deep as 1-21/32 inches while the quarter-inch and half-inch collets keep the shank bits in place.
Makita RP2301FC: Good for Professional Woodworkers
- Size: A Makita RP2301FC unit measures 13 x 9.1 x 12.6 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The Makita Plunge router has a motor that works with an amperage of 15 Amps.
- Horsepower: It is a professional wood router with a capacity of 3-1/4 horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: 8,000 revolutions per minute to 22,000 revolutions per minute.
- Collets: A 1/4-inch collet and another 1/2-inch collet
- Plunge Depth: The RP2301FC can plunge from 0” to a depth of 2-3/4”.
- Includes: Responsive plunge depth adjustment, chip deflector, and dual LED light.
- Warranty: One Year Warranty.
Makita U.S.A Incorporated went with a more portable design on the RP2301FC series. However, it has fitted all routers in this series with a more capable 15 Amps motor that drives the peak horsepower production of 3-1/4 horsepower.
This motor is capable of variable speed within the range of 8,000 revolutions per minute to 22,000 revolutions per minute.
Cutting within that speed range can be done at a depth of up to 2-3/4 inches with the aid of dual LED lighting for visibility as well as 1/4” and 1/2″ collets for stability.
- Size: Bosch 1617 EVS is small in size with dimensions of 12.3 x 10.1 x 7.7 inches.
- Motor, Amps: A 12 Amps motor helps the 1617EVS deliver a wide range of speed.
- Horsepower: It’s a 2.25 HP machine.
- Speed, RPM: It delivers a range of speed from 8,000 revolutions per minute to 25,000 rpm.
- Collets: A quarter-inch collet and a half-inch collet – for a firm grip on wood surfaces.
- Plunge Depth: The 1617EVS has a fixed/ 6-11/16 inches plunge depth.
- Includes: A quarter-inch collet, a half-inch collet, a chip shield, and mounting hardware.
- Warranty: One Year Limited Warranty.
The Bosch 1617EVS router has small physical dimensions but with 12 Amps motor, it is capable of generating 2.25 horsepower for the toughest of cutting and shaping applications.
Routing speed can be anywhere from 8000 rpm to 25,000 rpm. It comes with Mounting hardware, which makes positioning easier and it can cut to a fixed/ 6-11/16 inches.
Ryobi R1631K LED Lit Corded Router
- Size: Ryobi R1631K corded routers are small in size with dimensions of 7.1 x 10.5 x 11.4 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The R1631K has a motor that functions with an amperage of 8.5.
- Horsepower: It is also a small router by horsepower. It has a capacity of 1-1/2 of peak horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: The single-speed motor on the Ryobi R1631K produces a speed of 25,000 rpm.
- Collets: It comes with collets for 5/32 inches, 5/16 inches, and the generic 1/4 inches of shank bits.
- Plunge Depth: This router is capable of plunging to a depth of two inches on any surface.
- Includes: Sub-base, chip guard, and LED lighting.
- Warranty: 3 Year Warranty.
Japan-based Ryobi Tools, a subsidiary of Ryobi Limited, manufactures the Ryobi 1631K router. With an 8.5 Amps motor and 1-1/2 of peak horsepower this machine is able to do detailed craftsmanship at a single speed of 25,000 rpm while cutting up to 2 inches deep.
In addition to the standard 1/4” collet, there are two other sizes for convenience. LED lighting and a clear sub-base make work possible in dimly lit areas.
- Size: The DEWALT DW616 router is the smallest router by size on our list. Its dimensions are 10.8 x 9.2 x 7.2 inches.
- Motor, Amps: The built-in quick release motor on the DW616 has an amperage of 11 Amps.
- Horsepower: It falls under the class of small routers by power. Its capacity is 1-3/4 maximum horsepower.
- Speed, RPM: The DEWALT DW616 has a single speed motor which produces 24,500 rpm.
- Collets: Feature the 1/4” collet and the 1/2” collet.
- Plunge Depth: Depth adjustment is done in 1/64-inches increments. No inch scale available.
- Includes: Clear sub-base, concentricity gauge, and motor cam lock.
- Warranty: Three Year Limited Warranty.
DEWALT DW616 is a small wood router given that it is only capable of 1-3/4 of peak horsepower. It is similarly small in size and that helps the portability of the machine as its 11 Amps motor makes 24,500 revolutions per minute cutting to depths adjustable in 1/64-inch increments.
A concentricity gauge brings precision to the process while the two sizes of collets keep the wood bits steady.
Fixed Base Routers vs Plunge Routers
When planning on getting a wood router for your small workshop or to deal with home improvements, you need to consider the factors of your workload. You can read more detailed information between the two below.
Fixed Base Routers
Fixed base routers are basically wood routers that involve having a fixed position of your router bit. This is essential to those who work on projects that need a constant precision on cut depth protrusion for the router bit. It is a recommended router base when dealing with workshop projects. Don’t get me wrong, though, it also is viable with home improvements and such, but it would require a little bit of work.
Plunge Routers works differently from fixed base routers as you may have guessed. This tool is recommended for use when dealing with the top surface of a board that needs dados, fluting, grooves, mortices, rebates, insets and other applications. You can also deal with the board’s edges as well but it would require help from the users’ precision and accuracy. Finally, it is the most recommended wood router tool for beginners as it can provide versatility.
What to Look for when Buying a Wood Router
When trying to get in the woodworking business or simply want to deal with home improvements yourself, there are things you need to consider and not just the product’s brand or company name.
Cost – As you may all know, even the most effective and most efficient wood router should be reasonably priced, regardless of its brand’s name. Value for money is what you should look for. This includes on how much a bit replacement may cost.
Power – One should always learn and understand how powerful a wood router can be. Depending on how tough the wood material is, the power of the tool can be a deciding factor.
Features – We all love additional features, but make sure those features are helpful with the task at hand. It should at least provide a little comfort or support.
Quality and Durability – There are numerous customer reviews for every wood router out there and reading them wouldn’t hurt, especially when durability is the issue.
Credibility of the Company or Brand – While it may sound a little shallow, it is one important factor when choosing the right wood router. It is highly advisable that you read more about the company, to avoid falling victims to the hands of unscrupulous companies.
Similar articles you might like:
- Top 3 Cheap Wood Routers Under $100
- PORTER-CABLE 895PK
- Hitachi KM12VC Fixed/Plunge Base Router Kit
- Black & Decker RP250 Wood Router
- Makita RP1800
- DEWALT DW618PK Router Kit
- Bosch 1617EVSPK
- DEWALT DWP611PK